The Membership, Board of Directors, Staff, and Associates of the Society shall enhance, empower, and support both collectively and individually, every person with special needs to achieve his or her potential and to access and enjoy the same opportunities, rights, responsibilities, and quality of life as an equal member in our community.
To promote, organize, and support the education, training, development and welfare of special needs children and adults in a manner consistent with the Mission Statement, and bear in mind always, the strengths and needs of the individual as well as the principles of normalization and integration.
The society has a vision of full citizenship for persons served.
Southern Okanagan Association for Integrated Community Living is a CARF Accredited Society
SOAICL Values and Principles
We believe in the assurance of life, dignity and respect for all.
• That children are best nurtured by a family that knows, loves and honors' them for who they are.
• That adult have a right to choose where and with whom they will make a home.
• That all children have the right to be educated in regular classrooms with appropriate levels of support.
• That relationships and friendships are essential to enrich our lives.
• That all people have the dignity of taking risks.
• That all individuals are entitled to enough money to have a reasonable quality of life.
• That all individuals are entitled to the services and supports required to ensure their full participation in our society.
• That each person can determine his/her own needs and make his/her own decisions, and when necessary, must receive the support to do so.
• That the involvement of families and support networks contributes to everyone’s safety and well-being.
• That services and supports must be delivered in a way that respects individual’s diverse history, culture, race, religion and sexual orientation.
• That remembering and sharing our history will help guide and build our vision for the future.